Key Facts on Homelessness & Children
- One in 30 children in the U.S. is homeless.
- Homeless children are sick four times more often than other children.
- Homeless children go hungry at twice the rate of other children.
- Homeless children are four times more likely to show delayed development.
- Homeless children are twice as likely to have learning disabilities as non-homeless children.
- At least 20% of homeless children are unable to attend school.
In 2019, there were over 4,500 homeless children within the Broward County school system. This does not include those under the age of 5.